Friday, April 9, 2010

A Simple Recipe

Over the tummy stuff but now a cold I've been battling for a few weeks seems to be getting a stronger foothold....bah! Still don't feel too bad and I had an enormous appetite today. I had an egg on toast before work and then for lunch I had a toasted fieldmushroom and cheese sandwish and some potato scallops I made for the three of us to share.. Donna, Katherine and me!!! Needless to say I ate most of them but it's truly amazing how many one smallish potato made!!! It's a good way to make potatoes stretch if you have a large family or not very many potatoes left just when you thought you might have mash... oops, reach into the bag, dang! two potatoes left only.... aha!!!

Potato Scallops

Heat enough oil to deep fry... I find using a small saucepan will give you depth without having to heat up a lot of oil in a bigger pan....

Cut potato/es into thin slices, only about 2-3 mm think or they'll take too long to cook through.. peeling them is optional but you should wash and dry them and dry the slices too, of the juice after you've finished slicing

Have a batter ready of plain flour, salt and pepper and a large pinch of Bi-carb... you can add yellow food coloring if you wish but not imperative..

Have some more plain flour in a dish and flour the potato slices before dipping into the batter.

Fry in really hot oil or better still use the solid white vegetable shortening, it makes things really crisp... probabaly not good for you but no fried food is that good anyhoo!!

Cook till golden brown and the potato is tender, drain, sprinkle with more salt( and pepper if you're a pepper fiend like me) and eat!!! Yum!!!

A cheap and filling snack!! Or a good side dish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment