Friday, April 2, 2010

Memories of Easter!

Good Friday. When I was a youngster I went to church on Good Fridays, in the morning for Stations of the Cross and then in the afternoon for another service during which as far as I remember marked the time Jesus was supposed to have died on the cross. Both were incredibly tedious for a small child but generally speaking the whole day was pretty tedious. My family practised Catholicism in quite an old fashioned way and there was no watching TV unless it was King of Kings or some other religious movie, (Ben Hur), nearly all of them starred Victor Mature( is that how his name is spelt???). Still remember his exaggerated and tormented facial expressions.....no playing with toys which for a kid is pretty tough.. I was allowed to learn knitting or sewing but not too many frivolous activities.. cooking was OK but nothing too sweet or too much like a treat as lollies and desserts were not allowed after our meals which of course were meatless. Eating any chocolate or any Easter egg before Easter Sunday was of course totally out of the question. We didn't even eat Hot Cross Buns till Good Friday... I don't hear of too many people still doing these things today although there must be a few....the religious aspects of Easter seem to get even less mention than those of Christmas....my in-laws still go to Mass as does my mum. My in-laws don't observe much fasting or abstinence though.. they quite often have some sort of social occasion on Good Friday and although they don't eat meat, they have such luxurious foods as crabs or seafood mornay and they drink alcohol. The first time I went there on Good Friday with my husband, I was really surprised even though I hadn't been a Catholic for years. The mood at our house was always sombre on Good Friday and here they were having a party!!! eheheheheheeh!
When my children were little I used to put all their Easter eggs on the foot of their beds during the night. Now none of us really bother with them although we might buy some Red Tulip rabbits to share.. they're the best....of of course I'll get the grandchildren some...Casey used to break all of his up into little pieces and carry them around in an icecream container, only putting it in the fridge when they got a bit soft as they can if Easter is warm which it is some years... all sorts of crumbs and even hairs used to find their way into the container which repulsed Rachel no end but he didn't care.. when he was REALLY little he even used to sit on his potty chair eating his pieces of Easter egg!!!! ehehehhehehehe!
This year the weather is mild and last night a big peal of thunder woke us suddenly from our sleep... there was only one other and that was it. Some rain fell after it. It must have come really suddenly and finished as abruptly as Honey didn't even flinch! She got up shortly after the first one and went into the bathroom but then went and lay back down again and didn't stir till this morning so there couldn't have been much in it or she would have let us know all about it!!!
The shop is closed again this year as it was last year for the first time in 14 years. Otherwise I would be working today. I'm only working Sunday morning and Monday morning which are my usual shifts.
I stayed up late last night, till about 1 am which is unusual for me. Casey and I watched the White Stripes dvd he gave me for Christmas and the Rammstein dvd he gave me for my birthday. I slept in till 8.20 am which is just as uncommon! Paul must have had a good long sleep as he went to bed way before us and he slept in as long as I did. He's gone for a paddle now.
Well, that's about it for this post. I'm going to go and do some cooking I think!!! Enjoy yr weekend everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment