Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What I'm Doing With Leftovers!

I have got way too much food in the fridge! This happened cos I had a few days where people were coming over and I have a bad habit of panic buying in case there's not enough for them to eat!! I am trying not to throw food away cos it's wasteful and also no good for the environment to put food in the landfill.. makes methane gas!!
I can't compost all of it as I don't like to put certain things out in case it attracts rodents and the dogs cannot eat all the leftovers as they will get overweight. A lot of scraps the birds will eat, but I have a bit of conflict feeding them TOO much for fear they'll become overly dependent...
Mostly there are too many veges at the moment and hopefully I'll get around to eating them before they go yellow and limp(or slimy!). If not they can definitely be put into the compost safely. It still doesn't remove the fact though that money is wasted if you buy more than you need....

Here are some examples of what food is in there and how I plan not to waste it.....

Leftover roast potatoes - I don't like leftover potatoes, they taste funny.. I chopped these up and cooked them with some mince I bought yesterday for the dogs.. I cooked it in the pot I cooked our rice in last night so all the stuck on rice will also go into the mush. I also put the small amount of leftover porridge from my breakfast today in and some leftover cooked veges.. it's good for them to have some veges in their diet as well.

Some cooked rice noodles - I always think I'm not going to have enough noodles for the amount of veges/meat I've cut up... there has to be more noodle than other ingredients for me to enjoy the dish... same as there has to be more rice than stirfry!!! There's not enough noodles for a dinner for both of us though.... but there is enough for a lunch! I will have my lunch with them and the balance Paul can take tomorrow. Today he took the stirfry and rice left from last night... there was just enough for a lunch size portion. We eat a bigger meal at night.

Pasta with hardly any sauce on it... for the same reason I cooked too many rice noodles I have too much curly fettucine but there was very little sauce left. But in the vege crisper there is a third of an eggplant. I can make my famous eggplant pasta dish for tonight and that will use up the fettucine AND the eggplant! I can also use some of the tomatoes that my friend Marg gave me to make the sauce!!

There is a container of stale gravy - that one is easy! It can go on the dogs' biscuits to make them more tasty this evening!

There is a pot of cooked Thai red rice - I bought a packet to try but I don't like the look of it. Also easy... this can be cooked with the rest of the mince for another dinner for the dogs! Rice is a good allergy-free food for dogs and also a good filler to make their mince go further. I'll just be sticking to white rice and brown rice in future..maybe not very adventurous of me but the red rice just does not look appealing!

No comments:

Post a Comment