Thursday, May 20, 2010

Shopping Day Again

We have started getting coupons here now... there have been a few before this week .. I have seen them.... but I really noticed them this week as one of them was for 3 x 24 Coke cans for $40.. that's not as cheap as you can get them other times, I'm sure... Coke seems to really vary in price.. sometimes it's quite expensive and then others if it's on special it can be quite cheap! I didn't feel like forking out $40 on Coke today however and settled for 3 x 1.25 litre Coke bottle for $6 instead.

I went to the Farmers' Market today.. don't go every week, if you don't go early in the morning it's parking hell!!! ehehehhehe! I worked for a little bit this morning so I would have been too late for Body Combat... and I don't feel like doing Balance lately.... so I thought I'd go today when I finished at 9am. I wanted to get some cheese from there... it' s locally produced and quite a bit cheaper than the supermarket brands...( still a product of suffering!) but I have decided to just be very sparing with all these kinds of foods... I don't think my hubby wants to be a vegan but he's happy to eat minimal animal products which is I think, at least for now, the best I can do also....

I spent about $50 there and about $120 at Coles.. which is good for us.... (usually around $220). But I didn't get enough dog food to last till next Thursday... only till Monday.....I might be able to eke it out if we have some scraps to stretch it or they can even have some of the cat's (surplus) food..... I noticed as I was putting the bread in the freezer that I now have a lot of loaves in there.... a surplus of that as well...it'd only be dog food that takes me back to the shops.. so if I'm careful, I could probably avoid more grocery purchases too soon!!

I am wasting much less by writing about food and meal-plans and having awareness of what's actually in the cupboard and freezer. This week I only wasted;

: some pumpkin soup.... I will dig it into the ground and it will compost... I just don't like soup very much.. even though I tried NOT to make a huge pot it was still too much for us...

: a small piece of cucumber... went behind something and I didn't see it... only about 2 inches so that's not too bad.. can go into the compost

that's about it!!!! There were a few leftovers but the dogs can have those sometimes...it's better anyway for them to have some veges and rice etc mixed with their food which is primarily tinned food and some biscuits. I would like if they could have more raw food but raw meat is quite expensive to feed them... they're not little dogs otherwise I could afford it...

I bought a free range chicken today( they were on special)..... my husband (B)needs to have something for his sandwiches sometimes that is not baked beans or hummus all the time!!!! He takes some leftovers usually and a peanut butter sandwich but he needs to have one other sandwich at least.... also the grand girls are coming and they are a bit fussy with their food. They like chicken so I will roast one and then they can have that for their meal and then the leftovers can go to sandwiches for a couple of days for B. They'll be here a couple of nights so I also got a packet of frozen beefburgers as they will eat a hamburger.... no salad mind you, but a patty and sauce! B will like that too.. he still likes to BBQ sausages and hamburgers... doesn't care about steak, thankfully... speaking of which I really felt like yesterday... I didn't indulge but I was conscious of feeling like a steak with salad... as if I really really needed it.... sometimes even though I want to eat vegetarian food, I feel a bit sick at the thought of say, mushrooms... and feel like I NEED red meat...but at least for yesterday I did not eat any...

I made the awesomest spring rolls this week..... we had them two nights in a row (I had them for two lunches as well!!)and then last night the remaining filling I fried with some rice into a kind of nasi goreng which we had with some fish fingers ( nearly a whole box left in the freezer... now only about 5 left..again the girls like these...) and a fried egg.

I just made a potato bake to take tonight to our friend's... she invited us for tea and she's making roast chicken.... hopefully there will be enough veges for me to have.. that's why I'm taking the potato bake... to help her out but also so I can eat that with some other veges and some bread... I bought a big Italian loaf as well...

Just now when I took the dogs for a little walk... I have to go to work soon so it had to be shortish.... I saw this magpie that has a damaged wing and is hanging around the one house and garden where another girl I know lives... I'm a bit worried for it in case it's not getting enough to eat.. she is feeding it but how much does a bird that size need???? I noticed today that it was not standing but sort of lying like a chicken does on a nest in the garden bed in the sun. I went back to see if it was still there with the thought of perhaps catching it and taking it to the wildlife lady but it wasn't there then..... it's a lovely sunny day today but I'm worried for when it gets cold.. or will it have starved by then or got at by a cat???? There are two cats next door to the house.. it's a wonder they haven't killed it so far.....

Maybe I shoudn't interfere as well.... that's the other thought I have... it's sad but if I catch it, there's no guarantee it will live and even if it does, it will be confined most probably and maybe not very happy??? I never know what is the right thing to do in these situations....

No comments:

Post a Comment