Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sigh! Seitan!

I was going to go into town to day to do one of the two big walks around Bunbury I have on my "To Do In June" list.... but I changed my plans so I could have a go at making "seitan". I have made it a few times and most of the time it's about the same.... it's not bad but once I went to a Chinese temple in Melbourne and they just had the most wonderful dishes there all made of seitan of course, but they must have the "knack" or some secret.. mine isn't anywhere as nice...
Today after simmering it in the broth I baked it and it looked and smelled all right... I turned the oven off and went out for a walk.. I think if I'd taken it out of the oven before I went, it would have been better... it seems a bit rubbery and overly firm today. But it was still OK!! I fried some slices and then made the sauce I like to serve with steak... creamy mushroom and garlic... gee, I wish I could get the Tofutti Sour Cream again.... I have seen the cream "cheese" maybe I could try using that and diluting it with white wine and water.. then the sauce could be vegan... I ate my " steaks" with two of the leftover Yorkshire puddings which did have egg in them.... must get a box of the egg replacer again.. I have used that and you wouldn't even know the difference.. I just ran out of it recently. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results today but as I say cooking it less would have made it less chewy. There was enough so I could slice and freeze some..that might help me when I have a meat craving if there's already some seitan made as it takes a little time to prepare...... I quite like it... don't know if B. be will very keen...I'm going to test drive some on him tonight... I sliced some very thinly and it's in the fridge in a marinade of ginger, garlic salt(ran out of garlic).. chou hou paste, XO sauce and sesame oil with a bit of soy and a bit of sugar... also in with them some sliced onion and red capsicum...oh and I ran out of sherry AND Chinese wine so I put a little bit of brandy... see how it goes tonight when I stirfry it with some vegetables and serve with steamed rice! Maybe I'll put a few cashews as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment